Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Differences Between America and South Africa

One's company, two's a crowd, and three's a party. Yes, my third post in one day. I have no comment on how this happened, except that it did. Anyway, on to the post:

Since I have arrived here I have noticed differences between Americans and South Africans, which of course comes at no surprise to anyone. Some of these differences are cultural, others linguistic, and some go as deep as their thought process. I know the last one sounds weird and could almost be described as a bit negative, but what I'm trying to say is that we come at problem solving different ways. I'll try to do a better in-depth job of explaining what I mean I subsequent updates to this post. These differences, that I've seen, do not apply to all South Africans, or in that case I guess to all Americans, but to the general populace that I have met of both groups.

Words:
American-------------African

flashlight-------------torch
traffic light-----------robot
jacket---------------jersey
jelly-----------------jam
jello-----------------jelly
trunk (vehicle)-------boot
swim suit------------costume
napkins-------------serviettes

Word Pronunciation:
America------------------------Africa

fillet (fill-ay)--------------------fillet (fill-it)
aluminum (a-lume-in-um)------aluminum (al-loo-minium)

Like I've said, there are more differences than just how we speak the English language, but experiencing it is easier than actually writing about it. So, I'll be keeping this page updated with the differences I find, which mean that this page will never truly be complete until I leave, but I decided it would be worth posting now instead of at the end of my stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment